The Charente Maritime region is famous for its Cognac and Pineau production. There are many tiny villages and hamlets to explore. Quaint chateaux are common. Local delicacies include mussels in cream, goats cheese, honey and cake with angelica. Swimming, fishing, horse riding, golf, tennis and rowing are all available during the summer months in the local area. There are also many lovely country walks all year round. The landscape is gently rolling and ideal for cycling. Below we have listed some of the things there are to see and do for families, for children and for adults. the blue links are to blogs we have written on the subjects to give you more insight.
There’s little need to venture further afield than our local town of St Jean d’Angely, just 10mins away, but if you do there’s a huge range of places to visit and things to do to suit all ages. Details of days out can be found in each of our gites, cottages and villas and you can always ask us too if you run out of ideas.
At La Grange du Moulin and Les Vallaies we are just an easy 1 hour drive from the coast, beaches and the famous coastal resorts of La Rochelle, Royan and Rochefort. Its also about an hour to the inland towns of Angouleme, Niort and the area around Poitiers, so we are vey centrally located for the whole Charente Maritime Region. Closer to our gites, cottages and villas you will find Cognac, Saintes, St Savinien all within just 30mins drive.
If you would like further details on any of the places listed just ask. We also have many activities going on at some of our holiday cottages. We hold professional wine tastings on a regular basis throughout the summer, every week we have a walk through the vines that the whole family can enjoy. We hold large barbecues, where everyone joins in and for our younger guests we hold teddy bear picnics and pottery painting and even scuba diving at our child friendly properties.
What to do with Children in the Charente Maritime:
- Atlantys Swimming Centre in Saint Jean d’Angely – play pool, dive pool, swimming pool, big slide and hot tubs, great fun when its a rainy day or even when it’s too hot.
- St Savinien – a must for the young ones, ride on the hand made electric boats around the lake
- Aquarium – in La Rochelle, a great rainy day thing to do but top tip, go early or very late (it’s open until 11pm in summer)
- La Palmyre Zoo – the best in Europe, well known for it’s breeding and rescue programme and its interactivity with the animals
- Futuroscope – perfect for older children, not so worth while for little ones though, a theme park with rides and a vision of the future
- Fort Boyard – have you seen the programme ? Take a boat trip to view it (can’t go in but a lovely trip all the same)
- Nautilys Water Park – a great day out for the whole family . Near Angouleme and with indoor and outdoor pools and slides, perfect for all weathers.
- Donkey Sanctuary – See the famous shaggy haired Poitou Donkey
- Valley des Singes – Surround yourselves with Monkeys and learn all about them.
- Paleosite – watch Dad turn into a Neanderthal, learn to make fire and throw a spear
- Playgrounds – are numerous in the area, St Jean d’Angely has a good one next to the lake so you can feed the ducks too
- Karting – in St Jean d’Angely for the teenagers
- Canoeing and Pedaloes – at the local loisier near the play park in Saint Jean d’Angely
- Chateau Branch or Acrobranch – tree top adventures for all levels of ability
- Chateau des Enigmas – maze and quiz
- Noahs ark – run by the world parrot trust
- Puy du Fou – amazing – what can I say ! A couple of hours drive from us but perhaps worth stopping over on the way down or back home. There’s nothing quite like it anywhere else.
- European zoo – at Chize for a quieter and closer zoo visit than the one at La Palmyre. European animals. Well laid out.
- Iles aux serpents – discover reptiles
- Comic Museum and Chocolate factory in Angouleme
For all the Family in the Charente Maritime
- Markets – Thrice weekly in St Jean d’Angely
- Beaches – From La Rochelle down to Royan
- La Rochelle – for its shopping and amazing aquarium
- Cognac – with its world famous distillery tours
- Saintes – a beautiful Roman town with a fantastic ampitheatre
- Poitiers – with the superb ‘Futuroscope’ park
- Bordeaux – and its world famous vineyards, beautiful city
- Angouleme – has a great water park, museums and shopping
- Niort – for its history and shopping
- Rochefort – with the Hermione reconstruction and corderie royal
- Royan – with its European awarded animal park.
- St Jean D’Angely – our local town, shops, markets, park and tourist office
- Venis Verte – hire a boat and explore the waterways on a canoe or hire a guide
- Glassworks – in Cognac
- Cafes, bars and restaurants – in St Jean d’Angely and all the local towns
What to do in the Charente Maritime for Adults:
- All the above of course plus
- Golfing – there a number of golf courses within an easy drive
- Fishing – from river and lake to fishing in the sea. Passes/permits readily available
- Concerts – are regularly held throughout the summer season, Cognac Blues and Francofolies in La Rochelle are two of the bigger ones but our local town of St Jean d’Angely regularly holds open air concerts and shows.
- Scuba Diving – we regularly have discover scuba sessions for children but adults are welcome to join in or if you prefer we can organise private sessions and courses.
So as you can see the Charente Maritime has a host of fabulous things to do and see and to keep you entertained on your family holiday to France
Content by Wendy Blakeman